Thanks again to Jules of Pancakes and French Fries for committing to the useful & beautiful William Morris Project. It is so helpful knowing that there are others taking part, and following through on the ideal to “have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful”. This week’s project is something that I started a while back, and never finished. It just wasn’t right, so I stopped working on it, and there it remained for the last few months.
I have to finish a few more things in the pantry – like some built-in shelves beside the hot water tank, but they’ll have to wait until another day (you’ll see what looks like a pile of stuff in the corner there, that’s just your imagination playing tricks on you, I’d never have such piles, never).
Tool/Pot Rack Project
Not shown here is the time delay between the putty drying and sanding…time lapse wouldn’t that be exciting to watch, like watching water boil, which we all know to be totally riveting. I used some leftover paint that we had from a previous project. It is a very light green in a gloss finish, making it easy to wipe down. Once it was all up, it looked a bit unfinished, so we ran down to Rona and grabbed some wood veneer trim. It went on like a treat, and looked pretty good, except for the darkening that happened to the paint after ironing the shit out of a little strip of wood. I did touch-ups on the burnt parts, and it looked fine. Just fine.
It could have been left it at this point, but I decided that the frame needed to be painted in a contrasting colour to help anchor the rack in the room. So off to Rona again, this time picking up a little tester jar of flat black.
It feels a little odd to say this, but organizing the tools on the wall gave me an incredibly intense sense of deep, deep pleasure. Big S said that I was smiling the whole time. It was a very satisfying project. If I could spend all day putting things on walls and organizing I’d be as happy as a fox in a hen house (oh yes, I am that big of a hick, but I’m an organized hick and I attend the symphony and enjoy it, so I don’t need to qualify this at all – which makes it so much better).
As luck would have it, there was just enough paint to give the tub a good couple of coats, so there’s another project ticked-off my list! I forgot to take a before photo; imagine that there aren’t any black swipes of paint on the upper edge – see, anything is possible if you put your mind to it.